Software Developer (junior or medior)
Impact Institute* is a social enterprise that aims to contribute to the creation of an economy that creates value for all. We do so by helping organizations quantify, value, and improve their impact on society. We assist multinationals, SMEs, NGOs, and governmental organizations with risk management and strategic decision making by providing insights into their impacts and their associated risks and opportunities. The Impact Institute has developed the first method worldwide to quantify social and environmental costs of products as well as the first method to make an integrated Profit & Loss account. We are currently looking for a software developer.
We are looking for a full-time software developer. In this important role, you develop software tools to measure and value impact in a team of developers. The level of autonomy and responsibility depends on whether you enter at the junior or medior level. We develop highly innovative tools in agile and interdisciplinary teams (software developers, impact analysts, data scientists). Many of the applications we develop do not yet exist elsewhere. The applications we develop focus on estimating and managing the societal impact of businesses and products based on a wide range of data sources.
Your will be required to do end-to-end software development. You will engage in software design, back-end development, front-end development and deployment. Your main focus is to develop back-end software for data applications in a functional manner. You will also train your analyst colleagues in (functional) programming. Your challenge is contribute to translating Impact Institute’s methods into working software. You will operate in a fundamentally new domain, implement the true pricing methods and help customers in their transformation. You will have to cooperate effectively with colleagues and customers. With your personality and interpersonal skills you contribute to highly motivated and fun teams. You report to a project manager.
You will contribute to a movement towards true pricing that can change the world. You will have the opportunity to shape the strategy and policies of Impact Institute, as we are still a relatively young and small organization. In addition, you will become an expert in impact measurement and valuation, which foresees in a fast growing demand among of organizations worldwide. As a developer, you will have the opportunity to engage heavily in a functional programming.
Internationally, Impact Institute is recognized as one of the front-runners in this field. You will work with organizations, small and large, that influence the economy. We have worked with diverse organizations such as AkzoNobel, ABN AMRO, Achmea, BAM, DSM, Schiphol, Triodos, Rabobank, Tony’s Chocolonely, Hivos, ICCO, CNV, Fairtrade International, the Sustainable Food Trust and the United Nations (UNEP). You will develop your quantitative, reasoning, personal and interpersonal skills and be challenged to go where you have not gone before.
- Full-stack software development, with a focus on back-end development
- Internal software development
- Develop and adapt existing tools for customers
- Train colleagues in functional programming
- Contribute to the development strategy of Impact Institute
- Strong drive to contribute to a better world and proven ambition to make world sustainable
- Pro-active, autonomous and result driven personality
- Intrinsically motivated, ambitious, hard-working and honest team player
- Master degree working in software engineering or a related field
- At least 6 years coding experience
- 1-6 years relevant work experience as software developer or engineer
- Experience in full-stack software development
- Experience and fluency in functional programming (e.g. Haskell, Scala, Clojure, F#)
- Experience and fluency in SQL
- Preferably experience in software development in F#
- Preferably experience in data science and data visualization
- Nice and fun personality with good interpersonal and social skills
- Fluency in English and preferably also Dutch
If you recognize yourself in the above, we welcome you to apply for this position by sending your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. We review applications on a rolling basis.
* Formerly working under the name, True Price