Data Science Intern
Do you want to develop impactful data? Do you want to become a better data scientist and, at the same time, contribute to an economy that is fairer, more inclusive and sustainability-driven? Do you want to do an internship at one of Amsterdam’s most ambitious, young and fast-growing organizations?
We are looking for a motivated intern to join our data team in Amsterdam.
Preferred start date: December 2021
Impact Institute* is a social enterprise that helps organizations measure, monetize and improve the impact they make. We give organizations – multinationals, SMEs, NGOs, governments – information, with the aim to make their sustainable risk management, innovation and stakeholder management stronger. Our platform and research services aim to contribute to a circular and inclusive economy that creates value for all people by providing the information needed for such an economy, thinking of ‘we’ not ‘I’.
- You are part of the Data team that develops data products to support both internal teams and our clients with measuring impacts
- Contribute to the design and programming of these data products using Python, SQL, Anaplan, Excel, F# (functional language)
- Translate our methodologies into datasets that the project teams can use and easily pickup
- Find solutions to methodological challenges and do research on methods and data sources (possibly using AI)
- Find ways to efficiently present data and insights (making sure our data is epic!)
- Analyze and interpret newly developed datasets
- Assist the project teams with challenges that come up in project work
- Validate and use the data together with the project teams
Example of our work:
We combined datasets and applied them in our models to quantify social, economic and environmental performance indicators of countries and sectors in the global economy. We call this the Global Impact Database (GID), see the GID site for further info: https://www.impactinstitute.com/products/global-impact-database/
What do we offer?
- A dynamic and stimulating working environment with a professional and young culture
- A 5– 6 month internship
- Active coaching and supervision
- Access to a strong network of clients and partner-organizations
- Actual responsibilities and the opportunity to have an impact
- Perspective on a job in case of excellent performance and business demand
- Functional work area: Data science, Sustainability, Business, Environmental modelling, Social risk modelling, Input-Output analysis, Life cycle assessment, Impact assessment
- A compensation of €350 per month and commuting costs up to €275 per month for interns with a completed bachelor’s degree, based on a full-time internship
- A compensation of €550 per month and commuting costs up to €275 per month for interns with a completed master’s degree, based on a full-time internship
- Hours per week: 32–40
- Additional benefits: Laptop, Travel expenses, Lunch (when Corona restrictions allow)
You are numerically minded and strongly driven to improve the state of the world. You are looking for professional experience in a stimulating environment, where you learn a lot and get the opportunity to have an impact. You want an internship at a growing social enterprise that works on the basis of innovation, solid analysis and transparency. You are looking for an opportunity to contribute to a cutting-edge field that meets the fast-growing demand of organizations worldwide. You want to be part of a young and purpose-driven team.
- Strong drive to contribute to a better world and proven ambition to make the world more sustainable
- Bachelor/Master’s in data related subject (e.g. Data Science) or quantitative field (e.g. Mathematics, Physics, Statistics, Econometrics, Engineering, Industrial Ecology or similar)
- Data science experience through university coursework or self-study
- Experience with Python or functional programming languages (e.g. Haskell or Lisp) or .NET is a plus
- Practical experience with SQL databases or cloud platforms such as Microsoft Azure is a plus
- Independent, accurate, results-oriented and problem solver
- Nice and fun personality with strong interpersonal and social skills
- Fluency in English
Are you enthusiastic?
If you recognize yourself in the above profile and feel the drive to put data at the service of a better world, we would like to meet you. We encourage you to apply for this position by sending your resume, cover letter and list of grades (in English) to email@example.com.
We review applications on a rolling basis. Questions? Don’t hesitate to get in touch with us!
We prefer to have direct contact with our applicants, therefore we do not work with intermediaries, such as recruitment agencies.
About Impact Institute
The Impact Institute is a social enterprise. Our mission at the Impact Institute is to empower organisations and individuals to realise the impact economy. We do this by creating a common language for impact through the publication of open-source standards and by providing the tools, training, and services to implement those standards. We give organisations – multinationals, SMEs, NGOs, governments – the information needed for sustainable risk management, innovation and stakeholder management. Read our Vision and Mission to learn more about us. The Impact Institute team also powers True Price.