DATA SCIENCE TRAINEE
Are you eager to contribute to data applications in the world of impact measurement for businesses and investors? Do you want to use your skills to make the economy fairer, more inclusive and more sustainable? And do you want to be part of an ambitious, young and fast-growing organization?
We are looking for a trainee to join our Data team. The team focuses on tackling the data availability challenge of the impact economy. Our data solutions help organizations to get a grasp on their impact as well as the impact in their value chain. This enables them to make better decisions and accelerate the transition to a more just society. The data covers Natural, Social, Human, Financial and Manufactured Capital indicators.
As an example, we combined datasets and applied them in our models to quantify social, economic and environmental performance indicators of countries and sectors in the global economy. We call this the Global Impact Database (GID), see the GID site for further info: https://www.impactinstitute.com/products/global-impact-database/
A data traineeship is a 12 months development path for recent graduates interested in getting hands-on experience in designing, building, analyzing and delivering impact data solutions and models. During this period you will join the data team and contribute to the development of existing and new databases, impact models, data delivery and data collection tools. You will also receive training to advance your skills in data processing and analysis, impact modelling and, depending on your interest, consulting and other professional skills.
In practice, in this role, you will
- Contribute to the design and programming of these data products using Python, SQL, F# (functional language), Excel, Power BI
- Research data sources, and translate our methodologies into datasets that the project teams can use and easily pickup
- Find solutions to methodological challenges and do research on methods using statistics and AI tools
- Find ways to efficiently present data and insights and make our data visualizations epic
- Explore, analyze, interpret and validate newly developed datasets
- Assist the project teams with challenges that come up in project work
You will get your hands dirty as part of the global movement that is bringing social and environmental impact data to the screens of investors and business decision-makers, to empower them to address the global societal challenges we are facing. You will gain firsthand experience in a field that is seeing a fast-growing demand among investors worldwide and organizations in all sectors. You will also have the opportunity to contribute to the development of the strategy and team of Impact Institute, as we are a fast-growing organisation that continues to evolve quickly.
Internationally, Impact Institute is recognized as one of the frontrunners in this field. We are hosting a global “Banking for Impact” coalition and publishing an “Impact-Weighted Account Framework” together with Harvard Business School. We work with diverse organizations, small and big, such as Tony’s Chocolonely, Fairtrade International, ABN AMRO and Jumbo.
After 1 year and depending on performance and mutual preference, trainees are offered a follow-up work contract, and the opportunity to further develop as professionals in the Impact Institute.
The ideal candidate
We are looking for you if
- You are a numerically minded recent graduate, with a background in data science or another quantitative study such as mathematics, physics, statistics, engineering, econometrics, industrial ecology or similar, with data science experience through university coursework or self-study
- You are driven to make a positive impact on society through your professional life.
- You are looking for a first professional experience in a stimulating environment, where you can learn about how data solutions for impact measurement and valuation at scale are built.
- You want to receive a 360 view of how data is being used by change-makers today to make a difference in the business and financial world.
- You want to be part of a growing social enterprise that works on the basis of innovation, data analysis and transparency. You want to be part of a young and purpose-driven team.
- You are a team player with good communication skills
- You have experience with Python or functional programming languages (e.g. Haskell or Lisp) or .NET, knowledge of SQL databases or cloud platforms such as Microsoft Azure is a plus
- You are fluent in English
What we offer
- A 1-year full-time traineeship with active coaching and supervision in an informal environment
- You will develop your impact measurement and valuation, as well as programming skills, data engineering, data modelling, database management, data storage, and practical skills like working with scrum in data science, presenting results, teamwork, through our ongoing trainings.
- A dynamic and stimulating working environment with a professional and young culture, where everyone has the chance to take responsibility and help to shape the development of the company
- Perspective on a follow-up contract and professional development path
- A place in our office in Amsterdam, with the option to regularly work from home
- Hours per week: 32-40
- Company laptop & public transport reimbursement
Are you ready?
If you recognize yourself in the above, we welcome you to apply for this position by sending your resume, cover letter and list of grades (in English) to firstname.lastname@example.org. We review applications on a rolling basis.
We prefer to have direct contact with our applicants, therefore we do not work with intermediaries, such as recruitment agencies.
About Impact Institute
The Impact Institute is a social enterprise. Our mission at the Impact Institute is to empower organisations and individuals to realise the impact economy. We do this by creating a common language for impact through the publication of open-source standards and by providing the tools, training, and services to implement those standards. We give organisations – multinationals, SMEs, NGOs, governments – the information needed for sustainable risk management, innovation and stakeholder management. Read our Vision and Mission to learn more about us. The Impact Institute team also powers True Price.